Thursday, April 28, 2011

THE CHALLENGE! Hold on to Your Seats....Ladies and Gentlmen...Behold!

This post does not have any pictures of my cakes. I just wanted to write and share with everyone where I am with my cakes, and to share something that I felt and realized after a crazy cake filled weekend. It is kind of long but it was an important post for me to share with you guys about the future of my cakes :)

Not long after my Shrek cake, I was asked to make another cake by a friend from church. At this same time, I had already planned on making a cake for my best friend's wedding shower for that same weekend. I figured I could handle doing both cakes as long as I did them ahead of time, after all I had done two cakes at the same time before and they came out good. However, a few days after agreeing to do this cake, my cousin asked if I could make a cake for another one of my little cousins birthday. I REALLY wanted to, but was worried that doing three cakes maybe be biting off more than I could chew. I felt bad though because my little cousin always asks if I am going to make her a cake for her birthday ever since I started and every time I make a cake for one of my other little cousins. Soo after thinking about it and figuring a schedule out, I said YES!!! I was actually really excited to do all three of these cakes...it was a challenge that I wanted to attempt and conquer! This would also help me determine how I feel about this cake business I am interested in. I would either love doing cake after cake day after day, or find out that I do not like it as much as a career, but more as a hobby (doing cakes every now and then.) I spent about 5 days working on these three cakes, coming straight home from school and working on them with little breaks. First was the cake for my friend from church, second was my little cousins cake, and lastly was my best friend's wedding shower cake and cupcakes. I was able to pull it off...I did all three cakes without slacking on any of them ( I was worried that doing three cakes at once might affect the detail and work I usually put into each cake.) But I was able to put the same amount of detail, work, and passion into each individual cake, as if it were the only cake I was working on that week. This made me feel extremely proud of myself for accomplishing this challenge and it really showed me just how much I really LOVE doing cakes. I could do it day after day, maybe not forever, but for now at least. Who knows where this love and passion will take me or for how long it will last, but for now I know this is what I want to do. If you know me, then you probably know I am a pretty lazy and unmotivated person on things having to do with hard work (at least the hard work I do not like) lol ...but doing cakes is different, it not only motivates me and teaches me to work hard and diligently, but it inspires me, and makes me happy! It has its ups and downs, good days and days, joys and frustrations, but in the end, it is always worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment